Today (11th July) is the World Population Day.
Objective: The objective of the day is to increase people’s awareness towards population issues worldwide.
- Theme of 2015: “vulnerable populations in emergency situations“
- India has become a full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is a political grouping, economic and Eurasian security.
- It was founded in 2001 in Shanghai.
- The founding members are China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. Except Uzbekistan.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reached the capital of Turkmenistan Ashgabat.
- It has signed agreements on tourism, science and technology, defence.
India and Turkmenistan today signed seven key agreements to enhance cooperation in areas such as sport, tourism and science and technology.
The signed agreements are
- Memorandum of Understanding on the supply of chemicals between the Indian public sector company “Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers Limited” and the state concern Turkmen ‘Turkmenhimiya’
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Foreign Service Institute of the Ministry of External Affairs of the Republic of India and the Institute of International Relations of the Foreign Ministry of Turkmenistan
- Agreement between the Ministry of Youth and Sports of the Republic of India and the State Committee of Turkmenistan on sports cooperation in the field of sport
- Program of Scientific and Technological Cooperation between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of Turkmenistan for a period of 2015-2017
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of Turkmenistan on cooperation in yoga and traditional medicine
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of Turkmenistan on cooperation in the field of tourism
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Republic of Turkmenistan on cooperation in the field of defense
Indian space agency ISRO has launched five British satellites at once Sriharikota.
PSLV-C28 rocket carrying five satellites, a load of more than 1440 kg, took off last night and managed to put all of them in orbit.
- Note: three of the five satellites are satellites of Earth observation while the other two are technology demonstrators.
- The successful launches earlier by ISRO, Mars Orbiter Mission, which was launched in November 5, 2013 and launched Chandrayaan-1 at 22 October 2008 were PSLV-XL with similar variants.
- Of Indian origin Sunita Williams is among four astronauts “Veteran” chosen by NASA to fly the first commercial spacecraft, part of the ambitious plan of the space agency to put a man on Mars by 2030.
- Williams will be joined by Robert Behnken, Eric Boe and Douglas Hurley.
Egyptian actor Omar Sharif Legendary (83) died.
- He is best known for his roles in classic films Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago.
- He won two Golden Globe Awards and an Oscar nomination for his role as Sherif Ali in David Lean’s 1962 epic Lawrence of Arabia.
- He won a Golden Globe further three years later for Doctor Zhivago.
Former Foreign Minister of Saudi Arabia, Prince Saud Al Faisal died.
- It is known as the oldest foreign minister of the world.
Serena Williams lifted only his sixth Wimbledon title by beating Garbine Muguruza women.
- This is his 21st Grand Slam title.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly.