At least 47 people were killed and 20 injured after a passenger bus carrying members of the minority Shia Ismaili community was attacked by gunmen on motorcycles in Karachi Pakistan today.
- Some leaflets found at the site of the attack stated that he had been perpetrated by the Daulatul Islamiyyah Baaqiya, a group of Islamic-inspired government.
- In addition, the monitoring site Terror Intel Group Site tweeted that the province of Khorasan, a division of the Islamic State (TSEs) in the Pakistan-Afghanistan region has claimed the deadly attack.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to leave for a tour of three Nation (China, Mongolia and South Korea) Six days shortly.
- During the visit, he will ink several agreements, including in the area of trade and tourism.
Highlights of the visit:
- PM will land in Xi’an, capital of Shaanxi province and the birthplace of the President Xi Jinping.
- The two leaders will hold a summit meeting, and later Modi will visit places of cultural interest in Xi’an.
- Modi will be in Mongolia May 17 This is the first visit by an Indian Prime Minister.
- He will present a shoot of the Bodhi tree at the head of Abbot Gandan Monastery in Ulaanbaatar.
- He will then meet with Mongolian Prime Minister Chimed Saikhanbileg for talks during which several agreements are set to be inked.
- In a special gesture, the Mongolian Parliament will open a holiday (Sunday) for the first time to allow Modi to address lawmakers in Ulaanbaatar.
- Modi also meet with President Elbegdorj.
- They will ink agreements in the field of cyber security, an agreement on air services and cooperation in traditional medicine systems.
- Mongolia celebrated its 25th anniversary of becoming a democracy and Buddhism is a major point link.
South Korea (18-19)
- He will lay a wreath at the National Cemetery in Seoul.
- He will attend a reception of the Indian community, in which 1,500 members will be present.
- He will meet with President Park Geun-hye.
- A number of agreements are to be inked.
- On May 19, Modi and the park are to attend the 6th Conference on Asian leadership in Seoul.
- Modi also meet CEOs and visit the Hyundai shipyard in Ulsan.
- In Seoul, among the agreements to be inked are in the field of trade, transport, logistics and elimination of double taxation and new energy.
A bill to deal with the black money stashed abroad was passed by Parliament today.
- The bill allows the imposition of a pronounced 120 percent of the tax and penalty on assets and undisclosed foreign income in addition to a prison sentence of up to 10 years to against the black money stashed abroad.
- Before the new law comes into force, a limited time window will be provided to people to declare their income and assets so far undisclosed, pay 30 percent tax and a similar amount as a penalty and escape prosecution.
- The bill will strong deterrent for those who do not come clean in a single window as provided by law and foreign wealth declared missing.
India and other G20 members have committed to a global framework for automatic information exchange.
- It will also receive information on assets held by US citizens under FATCA.
The Supreme Court today lifted its embargo and allowed the Centre to move forward with the appointment of the Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) and Vigilance Commissioner of the list of candidates pre-selected by it.
- The two posts were lying vacant for the last few months and the apex court was 17 December 2014 asked the Centre to take his “leave” before before going ahead with the appointment for which 10 each candidates were selected after reviewing 130 applications received in response to the announcement issued in this regard.
Supreme Court banned pictures of political leaders in government advertising.
- The Court said that government ads can appear only pictures of the Prime Minister, the President and the Chief Justice of India only.
- The verdict applies to frequent advertisements that are placed by the central and state governments to publicize the plans.
- Note: Today’s decision means that the chief ministers and governors can not be in government announcements.
- The court also appointed a three-member committee to ensure that the new guidelines are not violated.
In Andhra Pradesh, a steering committee at the state level consists of 15 members to coordinate activities at the summit to achieve the vision of the State to be among the top three states in the country in 2022 and the best state by 2029.
- Speaker: The Minister N Chandrababu Naidu chief.
Haryana Government to set up a high powered committee to investigate land deals in Haryana during the rule Bhupinder Singh Huda (congress).
- This commission will be headed by a retired judge, it will focus particularly on cases involving son-Robert Vadra of Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
Achal Kumar Jyoti, a former chief secretary of Gujarat during the tenure of Narendra Modi as Chief Minister, has today as a new electoral commissioner, filling one of two vacancies in the body of three members.
Of Indian origin Daniel Mookhey today became the first politician in Australia to be sworn in on the Gita when he was sworn in New South Wales Parliament.
- Note: Mookhey was elected by work to replace Steve Whan in Wales in the upper house of New South, her first politician of the Indian state do.
Bharti AXA General Insurance has announced the appointment of Deepak Iyer (currently managing director – Indian subcontinent at Wrigley India Pvt Ltd, a subsidiary of Mars Inc.) as its new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) .
- Iyer is expected to come on board at the end of June and will take care of Milind Chalisgaonkar, interim CEO and MD, following receipt of regulatory approvals by the company.
Awards and Recognition
Kolkata original Neel Mukherjee writer of “The Lives of Others” won again UK Award for best second novel.
Business & Economy
The Union Cabinet today approved the new policy of urea and the fixed subsidy rate of phosphate and potash (P & K) fertilizers for 2015.
- In the new policy of urea, the government is considering measures to boost urea production by making more energy-efficient plants.
- The policy will also provide the framework for balanced fertilizer use. The exact proportion in which the nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and potassium (K) to be used is 4: 2: 1.
A day after the Centre published its consolidated FDI policy, the Delhi government today said it will not allow the entry of foreign direct investment in the retail sector of the capital, saying that it will be detrimental to the interests of traders in the city.
Google Inc. will build its largest campus outside US in Hyderabad with an investment of Rs.1,000 crore.
- The installation of 2 million square feet, the first company-owned Internet giant’s campus in Asia, will house 13,000 employees when it is ready in
- Information Minister of K.T. Telangana Rama Rao, who is on an official visit to the United States, signed the agreement with Google Inc.
- Under the agreement, the state government will allocate 7.2 acres now in the locality of Gachibowli Hyderabad.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly