Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who began his first visit to China as prime minister, reached the ancient city of Xi’an this morning and was given a grand welcome.
- Modi Summit held high-level talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Xi’an today.
- They both discussed the border issue and the imbalance of trade, among others.
- Note: India and China are likely to sign more than 20 trade agreements during the visit of Modi
The US House of Representatives today voted overwhelmingly to end the bulk collection of phone records of Americans the NSA, a controversial program made public in 2013 by former security contractor Edward Snowden.
- The US House of Representatives passed the Law on Freedom, replacing the controversial Patriot Act.
To check the sharp drop in the groundwater level in Maharashtra, the state government has decided to ban digging wells drilled over 200 feet and violators will face a fine or imprisonment even in case of recurrence.
- The decision comes in the wake of large farmers and private actors who resort to digging new wells drilled on agricultural land due to the scarcity of water during the summer.
- Note: The move is part of the ambitious water conservation project– “Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis Jalayukta Shivar Yojana” – which promises to make 5000 villages in the free state in a drought year.
The Supreme Court today confirmed the acquisition of land was done in Noida and Greater Noida by the respective local authorities between 2006 and 2009, bringing relief to thousands of home buyers, but dealing a blow to farmers.
- The apex court rejected all the requests that have been filed against the acquisition of land in the area by the farmers and said that no land will be returned.
The Supreme Court today dismissed a batch of petitions filed by various telecom companies, including Bharti Airtel and Vodafone, seeking expansion of their spectrum licenses.
Telecom operators had challenged the government’s decision to reject their requests for extension of their licenses and auction the spectrum given by them.
Harbhajan Kaur Dheer, an Indian woman councilor became the first Asian woman elected Mayor of Ealing Council in London.
The Supreme Court today charged former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha to meet coal block allocation scam accused from Delhi private residence and concluded that it should be investigated to assess its impact on the probe.
Science & Technology
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) intends to set up an information technology wing to face the security challenges rising from the cyber world, Governor Raghuram Rajan, announced today.
- Note: Last month, Rajan received a mail threat from the Islamic state feared terrorist group of the Levant and Iraq.
Noted Bengali writer Suchitra Bhattacharya (65) died.
- Known for his sensitive portraits of urban, social and feminist issues through his novels, many of his works have been adapted into movies, including Dahan, based on stigma and powerlessness of a rape victim, made in a national award-winning film at the end of Rituparno Ghosh.
- Some of his works include acclaimed Hemanter Pakhi, Kachher Manush, Aleek Shukh, Icche and Kosher Dewal besides several other short stories.
Business & Economy
Government clears several proposed acquisition of defense.
- The government permitted the Tata-Airbus solitary bid consortium to replace the aging fleet of aircraft Avro transport for Rs.11,930 (FIA) of the Indian Air Force also crore approve the offer of Russia build helicopters Kamov Ka-226T under the ‘Making India initiative.
The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), which meets in New Delhi, also approved the proposal to convert two Boeing 777-300 ER to travel VVIP.
- Other major proposals emerged at the meeting, chaired by Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar, including six new BrahMos supersonic cruise missile systems to the value Rs.2,700 crore Indian Navy and the acquisition of 145 parts M777 Ultra-Light Howitzers US government under a government agreement.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly