Prime Minister Narendra Modi has left today for a two-day visit to the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Modi is the first Indian Prime Minister to visit the UAE in 34 years.
- Note: Indira Gandhi visited the UAE in 1981.
Modi`s official visit is at the invitation of General Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces. Terrorism will be high on the agenda of the talks.
Day 1 Visit:
Modi will hold official talks with the leaders of Abu Dhabi and later visit Masdar City, a city project in Abu Dhabi where he planned to spend time watching presentatios, the Ministry of External Affairs said.
Day 2 Visit:
He will first visit the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi, then travel to Dubai, where, after meeting Dubai`s rule, he will attend a large public reception organized for him at the Dubai Cricket Grounds.
- Note: “India is UAE`s second largest trading partner and the UAE is Inde` s third largest trading partner.” Anchor
Government today extended the deadline for submission of public comments on the proposed policy framework for ‘net neutrality “to the August 20
- Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad
The Odisha government today approved a policy of “housing for all” in urban areas.
- This policy includes provisions enabling framework for the implementation of affordable housing projects, slum upgrading and redevelopment projects and facilitate the development of housing programs in urban areas.
- The Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik
The Assembly unanimously adopted Assam Witch Hunting (prohibition, prevention and protection) bill of 2015 to take any offense under the Act as non-bail, recognizable and not compoundable eliminate superstition of society.
- The Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
Gujarat has announced a ban on the use of plastic in the state.
- The Chief Minister Anandiben Patel
Kerala government has declared a state of complete State Digital.
- The State has reached 100 per cent mobile density, 75 percent e-literacy, the highest rate of digital bank and broadband connection to the panchayat level.
- Chief Minister Oommen Chandy
Business and Economy
Third largest private sector lender of India, Axis Bank launched the first contact debit, credit and multi-currency Forex association with VISA Card Company’s payment gateway in the country.
- With the launch of these cards, banks seek to take advantage of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) ‘guidelines, which allow them to process contactless transactions below Rs 2000 without a personal identification number.
- 60 percent of transactions on cards are currently below the threshold limit of Rs 2,000.
The Finance Ministry has imposed definitive anti-dumping duties on imports of potassium carbonate from Taiwan and South Korea.
- This follows the recommendation of the designated authority in the Ministry of Commerce in its final conclusions on the sunset review investigations.
Saina Nehwal loses to defending champion Carolina Marin of Spain in the final of the Badminton World Championships in Jakarta, gets the silver medal.
- Saina is now the first Indian badminton player to win a silver medal at the World Championships.
Awards and Recognition
Five coaches were recommended for the prestigious Dronacharya 2015.
- Swatantra Raj Singh (Boxing)
- Nihar Ameen (swimming)
- Harbans Singh (athletics)
- Anoop Singh Dahiya (Wrestling)
- Naval Singh (Para-Athletics)
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly.