Today (18th July) is International Nelson Mandela Day.
- This is an annual international day in honour of Nelson Mandela.
- Note : 18th July is Mandela’s birthday
- The day was officially declared by the United Nations in November 2009.
- The first UN Mandela Day was held on 18 July 2010.
Muslims around the world are celebrating the three-day Eid al-Fitr festival, which marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.
- The beginning and end of Islamic months are determined by the sighting of the new moon.Anchor
US Secretary of State John Kerry will meet the Foreign Minister of Cuba Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla at Washington on Monday.
- On this day, the two countries would raise their national flags in Havana and Washington to mark the historic reopening of their diplomatic ties after a five-decade freeze.
- The first meeting of India-Myanmar Joing Consultative Commission was held at New Delhi.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj met U Wunna Maung Lwin, Foreign Minister of Myanmar.
- Ahead of Myanmar’s landmark first election under a military-backed quasi-civilian government, India has offered the neighbouring country its armed forces’ experience on working in a democracy.
- India has reaffirmed its commitment to support the modernisation of the Myanmar Armed Forces and would be happy to share its experience in functioning in a democratic environment, cooperation in the field of IT, in dealing with emerging security challenges, and military to military cooperation including in training.
Rath Yatra of Lord Jagganath began in Puri, Odisa today.
- This is Century’s biggest Rath Yatra (about 67 km from state capital Bhubaneshwar).
- The event, this time, is coinciding with the Navakalevar (re-birth ceremony) of the 12th century Puri Jagannath temple deities.
French Formula 1 driver Jules Bianchi has died, nine months after suffering severe head injuries in a crash at the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix.
Uruguay’s soccer legend Alcides Ghiggia passed away.
- Note : He scored the winning goal in the final game of the 1950 World Cup to give Uruguay a stunning 2-1 victory over Brazil (still recalled as Brazil’s greatest defeat).
Business & Economy
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) directed banks to ensure that their overall direct lending to farmers should not fall below the average of last three years, as government has expressed concerns over impact of recent adverse weather conditions.
NITI Aayog vice-chairman Arvind Panagariya exuded confidence that the Indian economy is going to grow up to 8-trillion US Dollar within next 15 years.
Ethiopian middle- and long-distance runner Genzebe Dibaba shattered a 22-year-old record in the women’s 1500 metres today.
Pakistan allrounder Mohammad Hafeez has been banned from bowling in international cricket for 12 months after his action was found to be illegal for a second time since November 2014.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly