Today (third Sunday in June) is Father’s Day.
Today (June 21) is World Music Day (Fête de la Musique).
First International Yoga Day is celebrated today with the participation of tens of millions of people in 192 countries.
- President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi led the celebrations in the country from Delhi.
- Over 35 thousand fans, including the Indian armed forces participated in the main event held at Rajpath (New Delhi).
- India has established two world records today with this mass Yoga session
- One for the highest number of participants (35 985 people)
- the other for the largest number of nationalities in a single event (84).
- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the Foreign Minister, Sushma Swaraj marked the global event at the headquarters of the United Nations and Times Square the US today evening.
- Sushma Swaraj thanked the 192 member states to support for Yoga Day
- An estimated one third of humanity participates in the celebration of Yoga Day.
- Government of India has decided to include yoga as a compulsory subject in all Sports Authority of India (SAI) centers and youth clubs.
- Union Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs: Sarbananda Sonowal
- The government has also issued coins and postage stamps to commemorate the occasion.
Context of the International Day of Yoga
The United Nations General Assembly on December 11 passed a resolution designating led India on June 21 as “International Day of Yoga.”
- This happened less than three months after Prime Minister Narendra Modi proposed the idea.
- The Prime Minister had discussed the proposal during his address to the UN General Assembly on 27 September last year.
- The resolution was adopted in a record time of 75 days
- This is the first resolution in which 177 countries have become co-sponsors for the World Day of Yoga, which was a “world record”.
- Note: Even to celebrate the birthday of Nelson Mandela, 165 countries had become co-sponsors. “
- The day was agreed on June 21 as it is the longest day of the year (summer solstice) in the northern hemisphere.
About Logo of the International Day of Yoga
The logo of the International Day of Yoga was launched April 29, 2015 External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Minister of State for AYUSH Yesso Shripad Naik.
- The logo was selected by a yoga expert committee constituted by the Department of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (AYUSH) and was also approved by the prime minister Narendra Modi.
- The logo reflects the harmony and peace to humanity that is the essence of yoga.
- Folding both hands in the logo symbolizes Yoga, which reflects the union of the individual consciousness with the universal consciousness, a perfect harmony between body and spirit, man and nature, the holistic approach to health and well be.
- The brown leaves in the logo symbolize the earth element, green leaves nature, blue fire element while the sun symbolizes the source of energy and inspiration, the official said.
Delhi government announced that it will offer jobs to survivors of acid attacks.
- A committee will be formed to examine the issues of survivors of acid attacks.
- Note: According to official figures, there are 35 survivors of acid attacks in the city.
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal
In Punjab, over 3 lakh 38 thousand children who constitute over 33 percent of the migrant population across the state were given drops against polio on the first day of the national immunization campaign launched Assistant today.
- 8000 teams were formed to manage the immunization program in the state.
- Chief Minister Punjab: Parkash Singh Badal
Awards and Recognition
Indian historian Ramachandra Guha-author was selected for the prestigious Fukuoka in Japan in university class.
- Note: Fukuoka Award honors those who have made an outstanding contribution to university education, arts and culture across Asia.
- Remaining winners of Fukuoka 2015:
- Thant Myint-U (Grand Prix)
- Minh Hanh (Arts and Culture)
Bangladesh beat India by 6 wickets to win bilateral ODI series
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly