UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Education) announced Conakry (capital of Guinea in West Africa) will be the world capital of book in 2017.
Today (July 23) is the National Day of Broadcasting.
- On this day in 1927, India got its first radio.
- Note: The first station of the Indian Broadcasting Company (IBC) was inaugurated in Mumbai by the Viceroy of British India Lord Irwin, 23 July 1927.
- Minister of Information & Broadcasting – Arun Jaitley
- Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting – Colonel Rajyavardhan Rathore
Nation remind freedom fighters Chandra Shekhar Azad Lokmanya Tilak and on their birthdays today.
- About 3 lakh toilets have been constructed in schools across the country under Vidyalaya Swachh Initiative.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Kerala, Puducherry and Sikkim have reached the target of 100%.
- Gujarat and Karnataka are close to achieving the target of 100%.
- Resource Minister of Human Development: Smriti Irani
Nine months after becoming Chief Minister of Haryana, Manohar Lal Khattar today expanded his cabinet to induct three new ministers first.
- With the induction of three ministers, the government Khattar will now have a total of 13 ministers including the chief minister.
Three newly inducted ministers,
- Krishan Lal Panwar (ministerial rank)
- Ghanshyam Saraf (Minister of State Independent charge)
- Nayab Saini (Minister of State)
The Gujarat High Court issued notices to the Centre and the state government on a PIL demanding the formation of a body as Censor Board for approval announcements.
- The High Court also requested a food security response and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) and the Indian Press Council on misleading advertising is published and disseminated in various print and electronic media.
Important points to note:
- At present, there is only one non-governmental organization, Advertising Standard Council of India (ASCI), which monitors misleading advertising issues, but it cannot take punitive action against those who were found cheating consumers.
According cigarettes and other tobacco products Act, 2003 cannot announce these products, but on condition of soda, music CDs or awards for bravery, tobacco farmers, cigarette or alcohol support their advertisements in various media these days.
The Supreme Court allowed state governments to exercise its power of remission today to release convicted of life with a rider that it will not apply to cases probed by central agencies like CBI and for those who are incarcerated under central laws like TADA.
- Lifting his stay imposed more than a year back, the apex court said relaxation would also not apply term of life where the convicted person has been awarded in the cases of sexual offenses of rape and murder.
Portable Fashion store Flipkart belonging Myntra appointed director of McKinsey Ananth Narayanan its Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- He will take over from co-founder Mukesh Bansal, currently serving as the head of the platform ecommerce Flipkart.
- Note: Mukesh Bansal will assume the position of chairman, while continuing to lead the e-commerce platform Flipkart.
Awards and Recognition
In less than a month since the launch of the Mission ‘Smart City’ by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Pondicherry emerged as the first city to send his application to the Centre for the ambitious program.
Former Indian hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand will be conferred with the “Bharat Gaurav ‘Lifetime Achievement Award by the organization NRI Yuva Sanskriti Sangstha to the House of Commons in the British Parliament on July 25 2015.
Business & Economy
Suspecting tax evasion of at least 5,000 to 6,000 crore rupees, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has banned more than 900 organized criminal groups had set up shops to convert black money into funds legitimate, looking through the stock market platform.
The Greek parliament passed a law on a second batch of reforms needed to help unlock a huge international rescue plan for the country’s stricken economy.
- The bill, which includes reforms of civil justice, a deposit bank protection regime and measures to strengthen bank liquidity was supported by more than 200 members – a clear majority – the vote continued in the parliament of 300 seats.
- With total electricity production from nuclear reactors to 5308 MWe, India is ranked 12th in the world in terms of production of electricity from nuclear power.
EL Doctorow, author of the critically acclaimed novels Ragtime and Billy Bathgate died.
- He was known for works that re-imagine the American experience, placing fictional characters in recognizable historical contexts.
The Indian cricket team for the next test series against Sri Lanka announced.
Ishant Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara and Varun Aaron are back.
- Virat Kohli (captain),
- Shikhar Dhawan,
- Murali Vijay,
- KL Rahul,
- Cheteshwar Pujara,
- Ajinkya Rahane,
- Rohit Sharma,
- Wriddhiman Saha (wk)
- Harbhajan Singh,
- R Ashwin, Umesh Yadav,
- Ishant Sharma,
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar,
- Amit Mishra,
- Varun Aaron.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly