Today (May 23) is the World Day of the Turtle.
- This day is observed to attract attention and increase knowledge of and respect for turtles and tortoises, and encourage human action to help them survive and thrive.
- Founder of the World Day of the turtle: American Tortoise Rescue
A trial run of Bus Service between capital Dhaka and Bangladesh Guwahati, the capital of the Indian state of Assam began.
- The service was launched by the Minister of Bangladesh Road Transport Obaidul Quader and Indian High Commissioner Pankaj Saran Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation (BRTC) bus depot in order to promote people-to-people contacts.
The UN has adopted a resolution calling for enhanced cooperation to stem the illicit transfer and misuse of small arms and small arms, highlighting the suffering they have caused to civilians.
- Secretary General of the UN Ban Ki-moon
Ireland is the first country to legalize same-sex marriage by popular vote.
More than 3.2 million people were asked if they wanted to change the country’s constitution to allow gays and lesbians couples to marry.
- A total of 1,201,607 voters supported the reform of the vote nationwide, who worked on to 62.07% in favor.
AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa was sworn in as Minister of Tamil Nadu chief for the fifth time.
- 28 Ministers also took oath.
In an important decision, the High Court of Kerala has said that being a Maoist is not a crime and the police cannot detain someone simply because he is a Maoist.
- “Being a Maoist is no crime if the political ideology of the Maoists would not synchronize with our constitutional system. It is a fundamental human right to think in terms of human aspirations, “said the Court.
Gujarat has reached a hundred percent target Jyoti Gram Yojana under the scheme, which was launched by the Chief State Minister Narendra Modi.
- Under the scheme, over 18 600 villages in the state were provided 24 hours three phase electricity.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch “Kisan TV ‘Doordarshan on May 26 to coincide with the first anniversary celebrations of the NDA government.
- Note: In the budget of the Union speech in 2014, our Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had told a television channel will be dedicated to agriculture, for which he had marked an expenditure of Rs 100 crore.
Awards and Recognition
Two Indian peacekeepers are among the 126 military, police and civilian personnel who will be posthumously awarded the Dag Hammarskjöld Medal, a prestigious UN medal next week for their courage and sacrifice while serving in peacekeeping operations peace of the world body last year.
Lance Naik Nand Ram: He served with the Mission of the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO)
- Raju Joseph: He had served as a civilian with the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS)
- The will be honored with this prestigious award during the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers, which is celebrated annually on May 29
- Note: Last year, eight Indian soldiers were posthumously awarded the medal, named after the second UN Secretary-General.
Business & Economy
Arcelor Mittal and Steel Authority of India signed a memorandum of understanding to set up an automotive steel manufacturing facility in India, marking a renewed interest in the country by the Luxembourg-based steelmaker.
- The project will be implemented through a Joint Venture (JV).
- The JV will be proposed to build a mill state-of-the-art cold rolling and other downstream finishing facilities in India which will offer innovative steel products fast growing automotive sector of the India, said a joint statement by the two companies.
- Arcelor Mittal Chairman and CEO Lakshmi Niwas Mittal
- SAIL chairman CS Verma
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly