Curbing labeling error “health supplements“, FSSAI food safety regulator proposed to ban the sale of such products as “drugs” and announced new standards for products based on Ayurveda, Sidhha, Unani and other traditional health systems.
- Under the new regulations announced projects, companies cannot claim that their nutraceutical products and health supplements are therapeutic and healing purposes.
- Note: India is 1.5 percent of the global market for nutraceuticals with key players from Heinz, Kellogg, Nestle, Hormel, Unilever, Johnson & Johnson and GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals.
- FSSAI – Food Safety Standards Authority India.
The Centre approved Rs 2,801 crore for relief of hailstorm affected farmers in Uttar Pradesh.
- The decision was taken at a high-level meeting chaired by Home Minister Rajnath Singh and attended by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- Note: The NDA government changed the standards to provide compensation to farmers whose crops were damaged up to 33 percent, earlier he was limited to 50 percent.
The Supreme Court today ordered the central government and all states to install CCTV cameras in all prisons across the country and take a call on their installation in the lock-up policy, if there are incidents.
- SC directs states to establish commissions on human rights, demand for existing ones to fill vacancies within 3 months
- The court also requires 2 women constables in each police station.
India and Myanmar and neighboring Thailand will sign the long-awaited agreement of motor vehicles in December this year.
- This agreement will be implemented next year.
- Note: This agreement will pave the way for the movement of cargo and personal vehicles between the 3 countries.
Business & Economy
Seven Indian companies, including Reliance Industries and Tata Motors are among the 500 largest companies in the world, according to a list compiled by Fortune magazine.
The list was topped by giant Wal-Mart.
Top 5 companies on the list:
- Sinopec Group
- Royal Dutch Shell
- China National Petroleum
- Exxon Mobil
Indian companies in the list:
- Indian Oil – Rank 119th
- Reliance Industries – Rank 158
- Tata Motors – Rank 254th
- State Bank of India – Rank 260th
- Bharat Petroleum – Rank 280th
- Hindustan Petroleum – Rank 327th
- Oil and Gas Corporation- Rank 449th
The special committee of nine members of Hockey India (HI), led by Olympian Harbinder Singh today met recommended the removal of Paul van Ass as head coach of the national men’s hockey team.
- Note: Van Ass will be the fourth coach in five years to get sacked by HI.
- Roelant Oltmans, which is already in charge of the hockey camp in Shimla, should lead the team in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games to be held in Brazil.
Ajay Mathur, Director General of the Office of Energy Efficiency, has been appointed the new CEO of TERI.
- Mathur has held management positions at the World Bank as Director, Interim Secretariat, Green Climate Fund in Bonn and in the private sector in India.
- Mathur replace eminent scientist Rajendra Pachauri, who is facing charges of sexual harassment.
- TERI – The Energy and Resources Institute
The President has appointed Mr Richard Hay and George Baker as members of the Anglo-Indian community in the Lok Sabha today.
- Note: Under section 331 of the Indian Constitution, two members of the Anglo-Indian Community may be appointed by the Presiden LokSabha.
National Fencing Champion Hoshiyar Singh died after allegedly thrown from a train by the railway police in UP.
Note: He won a bronze medal in fencing in the 2005 national championships under 17 in Kerala.
Ten year old son of a Milkman Haryana, Shubham Jaglan created history by winning the World Stars IJGA Junior golf event in Las Vegas.
- He raised his second junior golf title in the space of two weeks (he won the title of Junior World Golf Championships on July 19 2015).
- At 20, Indian-American Amitoj Chhabra won the junior title at the latest Powerlifting National Championships of the United States Association in Las Vegas.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly