Today (August 26) is Women’s Equality Day.
- On this day in 1920, women in the US gained the right to vote.
President of the Republic of Seychelles James Alix Michel is on three day visit to India.
- It was granted a guard of honor at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- Signed India and the Seychelles today five agreements that will stimulate other economic exchanges between the two nations.
The two countries signed the following agreements,
- An air service agreement,
- A protocol agreement for the donation of a Dornier aircraft,
- A Memorandum of Understanding for Cooperation on Agriculture,
- Tax Information and Exchange Agreement
- Protocol economy blue cooperation.
The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) launched a countdown 29 hours before noon today for the launch of GSLV-D6 satellite launcher.
Important points to note:
- GSLV-D6 is the ninth flight of Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle India (GSLV).
- It is also the fifth flight of GSLV development.
- This is the 3rd time the native Cyogenic developed upper stage (CUS) is carried on board during a GSLV flight.
- GSLV-D6 will be launched from the second launch pad at Satish Dhaan SHAR Space Centre (SDSC Shar), Sriharikota.
- ISRO Chairman: A.S.Kiran Kumar
Business & Economy
China cut interest rates from 0.25 percent to calm the stock markets and stimulate growth.
- The Office of the enlarged Union today the deadline for the 7th Commission to present its recommendations within four months.
Appointed by the UPA government and in February 2014 to review the compensation of some 48 lakh central government employees and 55 lakh pensioners, the commission was given 18 months to submit its report.
- The time allocated for the commission was to expire this month.
- The Commission will now have time until December 31 to submit its report.
- The remuneration committee is likely to recommend hike in the salaries of government employees by almost 40%.
- The recommendations of the Seventh Pay Commission are scheduled to come into force from January 1, 2016.
- 7th Pay Commission headed by Justice AK Mathur
- Note: The Sixth Pay Commission was implemented as of 1 January 2006, the fifth from 1 January 1996, and the fourth from 1 January 1986.
Indian half Lalita Babar runner finishes 8th in the 3000 meters steeplechase for women during the World Athletics Championships.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly