US Secretary of State John Kerry arrived in Sri Lanka today to provide support for the newly elected president Maithripala Sirisena after years of tensions with the former government of President Mahinda Rajapaksa on human rights.
- It is the first time in a decade that the US Secretary of State visited Sri Lanka.
Jitendra Singh minister Union on Saturday condemned the Pakistani waving flags at a rally Hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani and said he was confident that the Mufti Mohammad Sayeed government would live up and take action to ensure that such incidents are not recur.
94th anniversary of the birth of the Indian filmmaker Satyajit Ray is observed today.
The Centre will invest a huge 20,000 crore rupees in the road sector in the North East this year.
- Minister of Road Transport, Highways and Nitin Gadkari Port Said the government is determined to develop the sector of infra region.
- He said his ministry has set a 30 kilometers of road construction goal every day across the country within two years from 12 km at present.
- The government eliminated an import duty free regime for raw sugar, a move aimed at curbing the supply from abroad.
“The import of raw sugar import duty free under Authorization (DFIA) scheme is withdrawn with immediate effect,” Directorate General of Foreign Trade said in a notification.
- The scheme was also repealed to avoid leaks in the domestic markets.
- Note: Under the scheme, refiners were allowed to import raw sugar, which had to be processed and exported.
Indira Gandhi International Airport New Delhi (IGIA) was considered the best airport in the world for the year 2014 in the category of 25 to 40,000,000 handling passengers per year.
- Airports Council International (ACI) presented the award Airport Service Quality (ASQ) at IGIA at a ceremony of the Assembly ACI Asia Pacific / Annual World in Jordan.
- Delhi Airport scored 4.90 on a 5 point scale measured by 300 members of the ACI ASQ benchmarking program.
- Note: IGIA improved its ranking to second position for the years 2011, 2012 and 2013 to emerge on top in 2014.
In Andhra Pradesh and Telangana States, a new five lakh rupees accident insurance plan for transport drivers was introduced.
- The system came into force yesterday coincides with May Day.
- About 11 lakh transport drivers and journalists in both Telugu language statements will be benefited under the program.
- About 16,000 Home Guards in Telangana will also be benefited by the regime.
- Note: The two States shall conclude a memorandum of understanding with an insurer to pay the additional amount of Rs three lakh insurance coverage, beyond the two lakh cover the central government provides the Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana .
- The Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Chandra Babu Naidu
- The Chief Minister of Telangana: Chandra Sekhar Rao
A senior IPS officer Surender Singh was appointed the new head of CISF center paramilitary force.
- Singh, a 1980 batch police officer of West Bengal framework, currently serves as a Special Director in the Intelligence Bureau (IB) and will support the new charge as Director General Arvind Ranjan year.
Awards and Recognition
The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star, the highest distinction civillian Japan was conferred on CNR Rao distinguished scientist for his outstanding contributions to science and to the Indo-Japanese cooperation in science.
- The Emperor of Japan awarded this prize on the Bharat Ratna stock.
- Rao received the highest civilian honor in several countries and is an elected member of almost all scientific academies worldwide.
- He also worked as chief scientific adviser to the prime ministers of India.
- The renowned scientist, has published over 1,600 research articles and is the author of about 50 books.
Dr Prannoy Roy, NDTV Executive Co-Chairman of the Group, received the 2015 Lifetime Achievement Award RedInk for Excellence in Journalism for his consistent contribution and pioneer of television news in India.
- President Mukherjee present 62nd National Film Awards that Dada Saheb Phalke Award tomorrow.
- See the complete list of winners at the 62nd National Film Awards from here.
Principal Investigator DRDO G Satheesh Reddy, who played a key role in the Agni 5 program, was conferred the prestigious Fellowship of the Royal Institute of Navigation, a first for an Indian.
- Reddy, Director, Research Centre Imarat DRDO, was recognized for his work in the field of navigation technologies and avionics and inertial satellite.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy in Spain awarded the Gold Medal of Merit of the tennis star Rafael Nadal.
- Nadal was one of the winners of this award, decided last June 13, but he could not pick it up at the ceremony in November because he was still recovering from his recent appendix operation.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly.