The “World Population Prospects: The 2015 Revision“, launched in the United Nations scheduled for today that the population of India is expected to surpass China in seven years (in 2022).
- China and India remain the two largest countries in the world, each with over 1 billion people, or 19 and 18 percent of the world population, respectively.
- Currently, the population of China is about 1.38 billion compared with 1.31 billion in India.
Ten major countries in the world
- Five are in Asia (Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia and Pakistan)
- One in Africa (Nigeria)
- Two are in Latin America (Brazil and Mexico)
- One in North America (USA)
- One in Europe (Russia).
- Note: According to the report, India will remain the most populous country in the world until 2100.Anchor
Cyclonic Storm “Komen has hit the coast of Bangladesh today evening, bringing with it heavy rains in Gangetic West Bengal and Orissa.
- With total assets of $ 43.4 billion, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has topped the list of the richest private foundations in the world established by ultra high net worth (UHNW) individuals living, according to a report by Wealth-X.
Li Ka Shing Foundation, founded in 1980 by the Hong Kong business tycoon Li Ka-Shing, second with $ 8.1 billion of assets followed by Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation (USD 6.4 billion) and Bloomberg Philanthropies (USD 5.4 billion) in the third and fourth place, respectively.
Pakistan today received a $ 336 million US for its continued role in the fight against a Taliban insurgency in neighboring Afghanistan.
- The injection of money, which comes as the Taliban intensifies its annual summer offensive launched in late April, helped the foreign exchange reserves of Pakistan reached a new high of about USD 19 billion.
- Note: Regular payments to Pakistan as part of the program (CSF) Coalition Support Fund began in 2001, when Pakistan joined the US-led coalition in Afghanistan as a “frontline ally”.
- Pakistan provides the use of its air bases and other facilities for refunds.
In the wake of the recent incident Maggi noodles, the government made it mandatory for all food business operators to test packaged foods.
- According to the license terms set out in the Food Safety and Standards (licensing and registration of food businesses) The 2011 Regulations, all food business operators must ensure relevant test chemical and microbiological contaminants and food products compliance with those regulations.
- Minister of Health and Family: Shripad Naik Yesso
In a spontaneous outpouring of grief, thousands of people bid an emotional farewell to former President APJ Abdul Kalam, who was laid to rest on today with all the honors of the state in his hometown in Rameswaram.
1993 serial blasts in Mumbai today condemn Yakub Memon executed in Nagpur Central Jail.
- This is the third execution in India since it lifted its eight-year informal moratorium on executions in December 2012, when it hanged Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman against the terrorist attacks in Mumbai in 2008.
- In early 2013, Afzal Guru was hanged for his role in the 2001 attack against the Indian Parliament.
Approximately 1993 Mumbai serial blasts:
- 1993 Mumbai attacks was the name given to 13 serial explosions that took place in Mumbai, Friday, March 12, 1993.
- The coordinated attacks were the most destructive explosions in Indian history bombs.
- This was the first of its kind serial bomb blasts across the world.
- The attacks in one day killed more than 350 dead and 1200 injured.
Business & Economy
Seeking to provide mobile banking services to its customers in the most remote regions, Kotak Mahindra Bank launched (KMB) today announced a Mobile banking “Kotak Bharat” that does not require an Internet connection.
- The application ‘inclusive digital banking “is mainly targeted to benefit customers in areas underbanked and unbanked, who can access services in their preferred language.
- It is currently available in Hindi and English and is also available in Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil and Kannada in about a month, followed by other Indian languages.
Taxi service aggregator based App-Ola today launched an application store called Ola announcing its entry into grocery delivery service on request.
- The application enables customers to get all the groceries delivered to the door step from local suppliers within 60 minutes.
- The application was lauched on a pilot basis and is only available in Bengaluru today.
The largest bank state-owned Royal Bank of Britain Scotland (RBS) is in talks to sell its private banking activities in Sanctum Wealth Management.
- For this, the Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc has signed a non-binding framework agreement.
Organization’s information technology hardware industry, MAIT (Association of Information Technology manufacturers) appointed Debjani Ghosh, vice president of sales and marketing and general manager of Intel Corporation, South Asia, as the new president.
- She is the first woman president of MAIT in its 32 year history.
- She succeeds Amar Babu, COO, Lenovo, Asia Pacific and president, Lenovo India.
- Note: Ghosh, who has worked with Intel for over 19 years, has been ranked among the 25 Most Powerful Women by Fortune magazine India in 2013.
Books & Authors
Indian writer Anuradha Roy and British-Indian Sunjeev Sahota international authors are among the 13 nominated for the Man Booker Prize in 2015.
Ms. Roy has been selected for her novel sleeping on Jupiter.
Mr. Sahota for his novel The Year of the Runaways.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly