Today on “World No Tobacco Day”.
- This day aims to encourage 24-hour period of abstinence from all forms of tobacco use worldwide. T
- It also aims to discourage consumption of tobacco and highlight the negative effects on tobacco health.
- Member states of the World Health Organization (WHO) created World No Tobacco Day in 1987.
- The theme this year: Stop the illicit trade in tobacco products
Former Foreign Minister George Yeo of Singapore will be the new Chancellor of the Nalanda
- University, Department of External Affairs announced today.
- Yeo, who is on the board of the prestigious university, will take over from Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen, who withdrew his candidacy for a second term as chancellor of Nalanda University in Bihar in February 2015.
- Note: Yeo awarded the Padma Bhushan in the year 2012 in recognition of his contribution in the field of “public affairs”.
Business & Economy
Service on the tax to go up 14 percent from tomorrow.
- This will result in costs of all services increased as mobile recharges, eating out and traveling.
- Note: Minister Arun Jaitley Finance’s budget had proposed to increase the service tax from 12.36 per cent (including education cess) to 14 percent.
- This proposal takes effect from tomorrow.
- The key services that attract higher tax and therefore become more expensive-are railways, airlines, banks, insurance, advertising, architecture, construction, credit cards, event management and tour operators.
- The Ministry of Finance came out today with a new three-page tax return on income (ITR) forms, abandoning the controversial provision for mandatory disclosure of foreign travel and dormant bank accounts, so that it also extended the last date of deposit.
- The new forms – ITR ITR 2 and 2A – will have only three pages and other details will be filled in the lists.
- Note: The last date for filing tax returns has been extended to August 31, 2015.
In a carefully planned and executed operation, Telugu Desam Party (TDP) MLA A. Revanth Reddy Telangana state was trapped by the sleuths of the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) while attempting to bribe a deputy appointed to vote for his party candidate for election to the Legislative Council scheduled for Monday.
Science & Technology
An advanced version of the rocket Pinaka Mark-II was locally developed successfully test-fired today the range of the army near Chandan Pokhran using a multi-barrel launcher.
- Developed jointly by the Organization of research and development to the defense and the Indian army, this multi-barrel rocket launchers has high operational mobility, flexibility and precision as the main features that give the weapon an edge in war of modern artillery to the Indian Armed Forces.
Chinese researchers have successfully developed the first automatic teller machine (ATM) with facial recognition technology to reduce the risk of theft.
- Developers include Tsinghua University and Tzekwan Technology, a company in Hangzhou of Zhejiang Province of China which offers security protection for financial transactions.
India has decided to buy only 36 Rafale combat aircraft in the case of the earlier plan to acquire 126 of the French plane for reasons of huge cost.
- Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar termed as “economically unviable” the previous UPA government $ 20 billion offer for the purchase of 126 Rafale fighter planes more than three years after Dassault Aviation of France was declared the lowest bidder.
- The agreement would require about Rs 1.3 lakh crore over a period of 10-11 years, he added.
International wrestling tournament
Four Indian wrestlers, including Yogeshwar Dutt, struck gold in the international tournament fight in Sassari City, Italy, after finishing first in their respective weight categories in the men’s freestyle.
- Yogeshwar bagged the gold medal in the 65 kg division
- Praveen Rana won gold in the 70 kg category
- Amit Kumar won gold in the 57 kg category and
- Narsingh Yadav won gold in the 74 kg category
- Ace archer Deepika Kumari Indian outclassed Chang Hye Jin of Korea in straight sets to win the bronze medal in the individual event in women’s classic arc of the Shooting World Cup.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly