Tariq Khosa, former director general of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) in charge of probing the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, admitted for the first time that the Mumbai terror attacks of November 26, 2008, is launched from the Pakistani soil.
- In an article published in the Pakistani newspaper Dawn, Tariq Khosa said that “Pakistan is facing Mumbai mayhem, planned and launched from its soil.”
- Note: Ten Pakistani terrorists sneaked into Mumbai from the sea in November 2008 and killed 166 Indians and foreigners in an attack that almost brought the two countries to war.
- One of these terrorist Ajmal Kasab, was captured and later hanged in India. National Affairs
Lok Sabha passes Scheduled Castes and Tribes Prevention of Atrocities Act amendment.
- The Scheduled Castes and Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Bill 2014 seeks to prohibit the commission of offenses against members of tribes and scheduled castes (SCs and STs) and provides for the creation of special courts for the trial of such offenses and rehabilitation of victims.
- Parliament’s joint committee bill on land acquisition agreed to withdraw six key amendments made by the NDA government in 2013 Act.
Important things to know about Bill Lands
- The right to fair compensation and transparency in land acquisition, rehabilitation and resettlement (Amendment) Bill 2015 seeks to amend the 2013 Act (LARR Act, 2013).
- The bill creates five specific categories of land use: 1. defense 2. rural infrastructure, affordable housing 3. 4. 5. industrial corridors and infrastructure projects, including Public Private Partnership (PPP) projects where the central government owns the land
- The draft law exempts five categories of provisions of the 2013 Act LARR which requires the consent of 80 percent of the land ownersto be obtained for private projects and that 70 percent of land owners to PPP projects.
- The bill allows the exemption of projects in these five categories to require Social Impact Assessment be done to identify the persons concerned and the restrictions on the acquisition of multi-irrigated cropland imposed by LARR 2013 Act.
- The Bill makes provisions for compensation, rehabilitation and resettlement under other related laws such as the National Roads Act and the Act on the railways in accordance with the Act LARR.
- The bill amends the acquisition of land for private companies mentioned in the Act LARR 2013 acquisition for “private entities”. A private entity could include corporations, non-profit companies and organizations.
President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated a new Museum of Science and Innovation called “Navachara Kaksh at Rashtrapati Bhavan today.
- First IIT Kerala began operating in Palakkad
- The campus of the IIT-Palakkad was opened by the Minister of Human Resources Development Smriti Irani Union for students through video conferencing.
- Note: The official opening ceremony of the campus will be held later this month.
Awards and Recognition
The National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) won the Special Achievement Award in 2015 Esri GIS for exemplary work in Geographic Information System Dairy.
- The awards ceremony was held recently at the annual International ESRI User Conference in San Diego and chaired by Jack Dangermond, president and founder of Esri.
NTPC and the Government of Jharkhand have signed a protocol agreement for the expansion of Patratu thermal power and increased energy production.
- This came almost three months after the two sides signed an agreement to form a JV.
- Finance Director of NTPC Union IG Kapoor and Principal Secretary SKG Rahate government of Jharkhand have signed this MoU.
German car maker Mercedes-Benz announced that Roland S. Folger will take over as new Director General and CEO of its operations in India from October 1st.
- Folger, who is currently the President and CEO of Mercedes-Benz Malaysia replace Eberhard Kern, who will assume a new leadership role in the European market.
Business & Economy
The Ministry of Tourism has decided to assign the duties of the Incredible India represent the global network of advertising agency McCann.
- The account was previously handled by Ogilvy.
HSBC India plans to launch ‘Green Bonds’ this year to allow the collection of funds for investments in projects with environmental benefits, Naina Lal Kidwai president of private sector bank, said on Monday.
Reserve Bank of India kept its key rates unchanged in its third review of the bi-monthly monetary policy today.
Current RBI Rates
||Rates / Reserve Ratios
||Reverse Repo Rate
||Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR)
||Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR)
||Marginal Standing Facility (MSF)
Ace Indian gymnast Dipa Karmakar vault won the bronze medal in women in the Asian Championships ART 6th gym in Hiroshima.
- Gold – Wang Yan (China’s)
- Silver – Sae Miyakawa (Japanese)
- Bronze – Dipa Karmakar (India)
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) fully recognizes the World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF), the governing body of ultimate frisbee, during its 128th session in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- This means ultimate frisbee is eligible for funding from the IOC and can compete with other sports for inclusion in future Olympic Ga
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly