President Pranab Mukherjee is leaving tomorrow for a four-day visit to Russia to take part in the celebration of Victory Day, marking the Allied victory in World War II.
- Note: The 2015 Moscow Victory Day Parade will be held on the Red Square in Moscow May 9, 2015 to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the capitulation of Nazi Germany in 1945.
South Arabia will host a meeting of Syrian opposition groups fighting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
- The main purpose of this meeting is to highlight the need for a political settlement in Syria.
- The French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian met with the defense minister Manohar Parikar to start negotiations for 36 Rafale combat aircraft
- This travel Drian following the 14th edition of the exercise ‘Varuna’ between the French and Indian navies, conducted from April 28 to May 2, off the west coast of India with the carrier battle groups in the two countries.
The United States has authorized commercial ferry services to Cuba for the first time in over half a century (5 decades), in an important step in improving relations between the two countries.
- This adds to air charter services that have been authorized so far, aims to allow Cuban Americans to visit their families.
- The ferries will also be allowed to carry goods to the communist island of 11 million, which is just 150 km off the southern tip of Florida.
Lok Sabha passes Bill on the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- The bill aims to achieve new system of indirect taxation, which would include various central and local levies like sales tax, excise and service tax, except tax on the supply of alcoholic beverages for consumption and products Human tankers.
- Once adopted, it can significantly alter the tax administration in a one-shot solution, replacing a chain of central and local levies such as excise, value added tax and the provision into one unified tax low trade barriers hinder the ease of doing business.
- The government plans to introduce the GST from April 1, 2016.
Today announced that the government is no proposal for the creation of the separate area for Kashmiri Pandits in Jammu and Kashmir.
- This puts to rest the controversy surrounding the recent reports that the government was planning to build composite townships for Kashmiri Pandits in the Valley.
The law union has today approved three plans to operationalize the social sector –
Atal Pension Yojna (APY), Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) Pradhan Mantri and Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY).
Rajya Sabha today unanimously passed a historic bill to operationalize the land boundary agreement with Bangladesh that provides for the exchange of territories to address the issue of 41-year border.
- 119th Constitution Amendment Bill, which will allow the operationalization of the 1974 agreement India and Bangladesh land border, was adopted with the full support of 181 members. The bill will be taken up by Lok Sabha tomorrow.
Maharashtra government today decided to lower the percentage of loss of culture, which is crucial in the award of compensation to farmers whose crop is hit by natural disasters, 33 percent from the existing 50 percent.
- The state cabinet also raised the amount of remuneration of 50 percent.
The Delhi High Court (Amendment) Bill 2014, a bill that aims to reduce the workload of the Delhi High Court by the transfer of thousands of civil suits valued at Rs 2 crore to 11 district courts in Delhi was passed in Rajya Sabha today.
- This bill will not only reduce the burden of the Delhi High Court, but lead to the elimination “fast” cases help litigants.
- Note: At present, all the combinations above Rs 20 lakh are heard by the High Court.
- Law Minister D V Sadananda Gowda
Science & Technology
A proposal for construction of GSAT-17 and GSAT-18 communication satellites supporting telecommunications, television and in-orbit back-up received Government approval today.
- The GSAT-17 and GSAT-18 satellites project, authorized by the Council of Ministers of the Union, will be built at a cost of Rs 2 crore and 1,022 crore respectively.
- They weigh 3425 kg
- The GSAT-18 spacecraft will provide replacement capacity to support the TV, existing telecommunication, digital Satellite News Gathering (DSNG) and VSAT services in the country.
- The GSAT-17 satellite, on the other, offer similar services and some additional features such as in-orbit back-up. Its footprint would cover the whole of mainland India.
Microsoft India today unveiled Edu-Cloud, an offer based on cloud computing, designed to deliver digital learning and teaching in schools and institutions of higher education through virtual learning platforms in India.
- Microsoft India Chairman: Bhaskar Pramanik.
A court sentences Mumbai Bollywood actor Salman Khan to five years’ imprisonment in 2002 and hit run case.
- The High Court of Mumbai him interim bail two days granted.
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly