Russia today held a grand military parade in Moscow commemorating the Victory Day (70th anniversary of its victory over Nazi Germany during the 2nd World War) in the presence of several world leaders, including President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Nearly 10,000 troops, including a contingent of the Indian Army and the People’s Liberation Army of China (PLA) took part in the Victory Day parade on Red Square emblematic that lasted more than 90 minutes.
- Note: The Western powers boycotted the event because of a stand-off on Ukraine.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister Dmitri Medvedev
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Ruble
Nation Pays Tribute to the great reformer and freedom fighter social Gopal Krishna Gokhale his 149th Birth Anniversary.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched three social security schemes in West Bengal today.
- Note: This is the first visit of Narendra Modi in West Bengal after becoming prime minister.
- The schemes – which include accident insurance, life insurance and a retirement plan – targeting people from economically disadvantaged and non-unionized sections, which are not covered by any form of insurance or get a pension.
The insurance plans are
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (accident insurance)
- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Yojana (life insurance)
- The pension plan was named after former Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee as Atal Pension Yojana.
Four Memoranda of Understanding on the plant and steel and railway signed during the visit of PM Narendra Modi in Chhattisgarh
- Rs 24,000 crore these protocols were signed in value Dantewada.
The signed MoU were,
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of Chhattisgarh, NMDC, SAIL and IRCON for the railway line of 140 km between Rowghat and Jagdalpur. Estimated project cost: Rs 2,000 crore.
- MoU between the Ministry of Steel, Government of Chhattisgarh, SAIL and NMDC to 3 million tonnes Ultra Mega Steel Plant with about Rs 18,000 crore investment.
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of Chhattisgarh and NMDC for Slurry Pipeline and 2MTPA pellet plant at Nagarnar in Bastar district with an investment of Rs 4,000 crore.
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of Chhattisgarh and SAIL for the establishment 1MTPA pellet plant at Dalli-Rajhara, Balod district with an investment of Rs 826 crore.
A National Court ordered the green (NGT) today in Delhi that every household, regardless of whether they have a clean connection, to pay “environmental compensation” monthly which is directly proportional to their property tax bill or water, as may be higher.
- The fund created from this compensation will be used to provide new wastewater treatment plants (STP) and other technologies to clean the Yamuna River.
Black Mhairi, a girl of 20 years became the youngest member of Britain’s parliament since 1667 in a victory that symbolizes a nationalist landslide expected in Scotland.
- A record 10 candidates of Indian origin including Keith Vaz, Priti Patel and son-in-law of Infosys founder Narayana Murthy were elected to the British Parliament.
US President Barack Obama appointed Sanjita Pradhan, an alumnus of IIT in its advisory commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs).
Science & Technology
Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel Sardar Patel commissioned INS Porbandar today.
- This will help to boost the safety of 1600 km from the coast of Gujarat.
- Navy Chief: RK Dhowan
North Korea announced that it had successfully tested a ballistic missile submarine-launched (SLBM) – a technology that could eventually provide the status of nuclear weapons for a second strike capability to survive.
- Head of North Korean file: Kim Jong-Un
For latest current affairs and, current affairs for bank jobs visit our site https://www.indiawidejobs.com/category/current-affairs/ regularly